Muhammad Ali Remembered |1942-2016
04 Jun, 2016
“He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life.” — Muhammad Ali
Muhammad Ali, born as Cassius Clay, remembered for his prowess in the ring during a 21-year career, is known as one of boxing’s greatest champions. Ali died Friday night in a Phoenix-area hospital at 74 years old. He was rated second-best boxer next to heavyweight fighter Joe Louis and ahead of Rocky Marciano, Evander Holyfield and Wladimir Klitschko, according to BoxRec. The three-time world champion boxer claimed his first world heavyweight title in 1964. Throughout his reign, he outshined his opponents in the ring and is viewed as the most significant heavyweight in boxing history.
View iconic photo gallery of Ali’s legendary career on ESPN.com: Muhammad Ali retrospective: Ali the fighter
Transcending the way athletes promote themselves, here are a few more of Muhammad Ali’s most memorable quotes:
1. “Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee. His hands can’t hit what his eyes can’t see. Now you see me, now you don’t. George thinks he will, but I know he won’t.
2. “Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth.”
3. “I’m young; I’m handsome; I’m fast. I can’t possibly be beat.”
4. “Don’t count the days; make the days count.”
5. “If my mind can conceive it, and my heart can believe it—then I can achieve it.” Jesse Jackson said this as early as 1983, according to the Associated Press, and Ali used it in his 2004 book.
6. “It’s hard to be humble when you’re as great as I am.”
7. “It isn’t the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it’s the pebble in your shoe.”
8. “If you even dream of beating me you’d better wake up and apologize.”
9. “Braggin’ is when a person says something and can’t do it. I do what I say.”
10. “I am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was.”